Rule #1 of software engineering: you don't have any choice about which part of the code base you'll accidentally become the expert on.
90% of software engineering is interacting with people. The other 10% is remembering that 90% is interacting with people.
So, Do Not Link seems like a good idea. donotlink.com/dnl/faq
Entwining the economies of Europe was meant to make another world war impossible. With the rise of right-wing facism looming, I am afraid.