We are absolutely delighted to announce that Station Commander Chas McGill, who has been an operational firefighter with Hampshire Fire and Rescue for 50 years, has been made an MBE in the Queen's birthday honours.
On finding out he had been awarded the prestigious honour, Chas said: “I had tears in my eyes when I found out I had got this award. I’m still emotional; it hasn’t sunk in.
“The Service is my family. When I go to an incident and deal with it, that is the best part of my life. I love what I do.”
Two tortoises feeling a little shell-shocked this morning after a house fire in Fair Oak.
Their heat lamp set light to their tank, but firefighters managed to remove the lamp and extinguish the flames, saving both. They then gave the two recovering reptiles oxygen to get them back up to speed (albeit not a very fast one).
Crews from across the Southampton area dealt with a huge blaze at a firework shop in Bitterne, Southampton this morning (13 May).
At the height of the blaze, almost 100 fire personnel were on site dealing with the incident.
Thanks to the work of our crews, no-one was injured and surrounding businesses were protected.